I’ve gone on record as saying the ritual of having a ‘Date Night’ can actually save your relationship. It’s important to ‘date your mate’ and keep the romance alive after the honeymoon phase is over. Trust me, you can make those work deadlines and still have time for date night. Juggling your calendar is hard, but it can be done. Not sure where to start? Here are some of my tips.
1. Select a day and stick to it. Make sure you know your date night won’t be pre-empted by a football game or a standing nail appointment and stick to it. Every week on the same evening, you’ll be scheduling a romantic evening for you and your honey. Date night is sacred. Hire a babysitter, dog sitter, and take a pass on the happy hour invite.
2. Take turns on scheduling plans. Every week, you and your honey should alternate as to who selects the outing. Get creative. It can be as simple as in-room-dining by candlelight, to finding events to attend such as comedy shows, movies, plays, or free concerts.
3. Pre-date night foreplay. Show some enthusiasm and excitement leading up to your date. Leave a love note on your pillow or send a sexy text messages to each other in anticipation of your special night. Take out the lingerie that has been collecting dust in your bureau and wear it all day long.
4. Leave the boardroom behind. If you have had a fight with your boss or are worried about an upcoming presentation, take a break from talking about it on date night. There’s plenty of time to talk about work outside of your special evening.
5. Memorialize it. Be your own love historian. Bring your iPhone to take cute photos and videos, log into instagram and post a lovey-dovey shot of you and your sweetheart, and upload them to your photo sharing account on Flickr or to Facebook, if you’ve already announced to the world that you’re “In a Relationship.” Upload your favorite shot onto your desktop for quick viewing in between date nights.
The simple ritual of creating a date night can help you become as excited as you did during the first three months of dating, and can last for months, years, or decades to come!
Do you have your own date-night suggestions? Share them in our comment section!